Thursday, May 10, 2007

Of Grace Kelly and Ice Cream Sodas

Guess what I'm humming these days? A super-successful single by a Lebanese-born, London-based, curly-haired, Freddy-Mercury-and-Queen-inspired, sexually amorphic singer with dyslexia, training in opera, and a high note that could fracture glass. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Mika. His real name is Mica Penniman, which he changed for (justified) fears of the massacre that would ensue if the general public were allowed to pronounce it. His first single? 'Relax, Take it Easy.' Followed by 'Grace Kelly'. In January 2007, he came top of BBC News's Sound of 2007 poll. In March 2007 he appeared on the Jay Leno. In April, the Guardian decided they were intrigued by him, and that is how we met.
Mika is unadulterated pop. He is the essence of Freddy, Queen, Bowie, the Scissor Sisters, and various other dramatic pop icons distilled into one dimunitive mop-haired singer wearing tight jeans. (and this probably explains why all his songs sound vaguely like something you've heard before.)His songs are this close to being over-the-top, and generally parodies of themselves, but somehow he pulls back at the last minute. Maybe its because they're not cynical, his songs. They may belong to a genre (intelligent pop) that has been given over to cynicism and self-parody, but somehow he brings freshness to a brand of songs that never had it to begin with.
Take 'Grace Kelly'. This is a song about identity or the lack of it. The melody is apparently based on 'The Barber of Seville' (I don't know, haven't heard it yet, though I will soon). The song is about people who reinvent themselves to be popular (sound familiar yet) and I for one, found it a deeply distubing little molotov cocktail wrapped up in an ice-cream soda. 'I could be wholesome/I could be loathsome/I guess I'm a little bit shy/Why dont you like me?Why dont you like me without making me try?' Here's what the Guardian said about this little jewel of a song. 'The song asks two basic questions - who am I, and what do I have to do to be successful? It could be a knowing song about ambition and the music industry, it could be a song of straightforward desperation, it could be both. Like most things about Mika, it means what you want it to mean.'
Still here? Watch the video. And welcome to the world of earworm. Oh, and don't forget to let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

fact # 1. he reminds me of a friend... who i call twiggy!
fact # 2. he has gr8 hair! I refuse!
fact # 3. it is a nice song
fact # 4. earworms can be the most annoying things, but if the song sounded like this i seriously would not mind!

Christina said...

wow... sort of special :-D

Guarded Anonymity said...

lizzie:
you're right...he is a sort of male twiggy....

chris:
lol....yeah, it is, innit?

G! said...

y'know you've very likely heard barber of seville... it's the one which kinda well never mind i'm not gonna put down a lot of dah dah dah daaaahs here... but it's been used in sooooo many of them there old cartoons... most of us have actually grown up listening to classical music, with mickey mouse or tom and jerry running around in front... and i am rambling again. shall shut up!

cheers!

Unknown said...

okie...unrelated comment...but nevertherless the black look is nice! ;)

Guarded Anonymity said...

G:
Downloaded it..and you're right...i have heard it before..scary to think that most of my classical music education has come via disney.
Annie:
Thanks! :-)

Chax said...

The very first song I heard is Mica and the next one is "Love tonight" (not sure of the title here ..) ... and both on VH1. I just loved both the songs. He's got wonderful range.
btw, thanx for those words. I see here that your blog interests me too,